Director: Jan Schwingshakl
The Education Department -- originally part of Education and Research, established in 1924 -- has been recently separated into its own department to allow the IBEW to focus resources on educating its membership and union officials. Department staff specialize in the development and presentation of courses to meet the specific training needs of our members, local union leaders, International Representatives and International Officers.
The Education Department offers several courses. Those available include:
- Business Manager Orientation,
- Construction Organizing Membership Education Training (COMET) in English and Spanish,
- COMET Train-the-Trainer,
- New Business Manager Training,
- Industrial and Construction Steward Training courses,
- Local Union Leadership Training (LULT), and
- Construction and Industrial Member Orientation classes in English and Spanish.
Recently, the Education Department has added New Business Manager Training to its list of courses. It is a comprehensive Business Managers Training Course for all newly elected business managers. It is two weeks in length, and will provide the tools one needs to become effective business managers and leaders in the community.
In 2004 the IBEW entered into an Affiliated Partnership with the National Labor College—George Meany Campus. This agreement allows IBEW members to receive college-level credit for select IBEW courses that are in the process of being determined. These credits may then be applied toward an undergraduate degree from the National Labor College.